Saturday, September 11, 2021

Research, Reading, Resources, Re-evaluating and more Research


The research process for this topic is going to be extensive, however I believe this information will help me navigate my future experiences in the outdoors and in the classroom with a growth mindset. Truth and Reconciliation is something that all Canadians need to learn more about and engage with, and is an important component of Canada's future. 


My initial research helped me gauge how many resources exist that are already trying to bring Truth and Reconciliation into the classroom and accessible to Canadian children. Part of my goal, and part of Truth and Reconciliation, is empowering Indigenous voices to tell their own story and I wouldn't want to overlap or appropriate these resources. There are several Indigenous created resource collections such as: 



These resources included worksheets, further readings, colouring pages, stories and context to lessons, and so much more that I haven't quite got further into. I also got my hands on two books on the subject: 



There is no shortage of resources on the subject and how to bring concepts into the classroom. This doesn't change my question right now, but the extensive research on the subject means that my job will be more than creating something new. In discussions with working teachers on the subject I have developed some key criteria to bring these resources to every teacher. I asked them "what would you need to make Truth and Reconciliation an accessible topic in your classroom?" and got a variety of answers including focus points and clear connections to the curriculum. Curriculums take a long time to change and implement, but finding connections in the current curriculums is an attainable goal.

In my current research I have learned that there is a strong base of Indigenous created resource banks to choose from. These resources come from all over Canada, but are applicable to all areas in their intentions and goals. One of the most common resources included how to teach about residential schools, but I believe this is only part of the picture. In the video below, from CBC, there were some key phrases that I think would be important to consider in the classroom such as "the shared history of Canada" and "History on this land that has perviously been ignored". Take a look:


Moving forward I think I need to reach out to Indigenous knowledge keepers and educators in my own community and gather some first hand knowledge. I hope that as my research continues I get a clearer picture of where my work is headed, although the journey and knowledge for myself is an important result in itself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrap Up Those Leftovers

It's the final week of 8Y08 and time to reflect on my Genius Hour journey. It was a lot of interesting, educational work that got me thi...